Grade 8 English
Teacher Alexandra Kern
• Students will be asked to demonstrate knowledge of vocabulary by matching definitions
and filling in the blanks.
• Students will be asked to demonstrate grammar knowledge by using possessive adjectives
with nouns and pronouns to show ownership, capitalizing proper nouns, identifying
conjunctions, and utilizing the present perfect tense.
• Students will be asked to determine the correct spelling of vocabulary words through
multiple choice questions.
• Students will be given an excerpt from the textbook reading and will be asked questions
that demonstrate students’ reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.
• Students will be asked to demonstrate writing skills through a general writing prompt.
Grade 8A + 8B Science
Teacher Ian Innocenti
• Weathering (chemical and physical)
• Erosion and deposition by water
• Erosion and deposition by wind, ice, and gravity
• Soil formation
Grade 8C Science
Teacher George Perry
Earth’s Spheres and Earth Systems
• What is the Earth System?
• Earth’s Spheres:
o What is the geosphere?
o What is the hydrosphere?
o What is the cryosphere?
o What is the atmosphere?
o What is the biosphere?
• How do Earth’s spheres interact?
o By exchanging matter
o By exchanging energy
• Earth’s energy budget
• What is weathering?
• Physical weathering:
o Temperature change
o Pressure change
o Animal action
o Wind, water, and gravity
o Plant growth
• Chemical weathering:
o Reactions with oxygen
o Reactions with acid precipitation
o Reactions with acids in groundwater
o Reactions with acids in living things
Erosion and Deposition by Water
• How does flowing water change Earth’s surface?
o By erosion
o By deposition
• Inland Erosion: What factors relate to a stream’s ability to erode material?
• Inland deposition: What landforms can streams create?
o Canyons and Valleys by Erosion
o Floodplains by Deposition
o Deltas and Alluvial Fans by deposition
• Inland groundwater erosion
• Coastal Erosion:
o sea cliffs and wave-cut platforms
o sea caves, arches, and stacks
• Coastal Deposition
o Sandbars and Barrier Islands
Erosion and Deposition by Wind, Ice, and Gravity
• How can wind shape Earth?
o Abraded Rock
o Desert Pavement
• What kinds of ice shape Earth?
o Flowing Ice
o Alpine Glaciers
o Continental Glaciers
• How can gravity shape Earth?
o Slow Mass Movement
o Rapid Mass Movement
Grade 8 Algebra I
Teacher Neill Dixon
1. Properties of Triangles
• Total of angles = 180
• Pythagorean Theorem
• Distance Formula
3. Scatter Plots and Two-Way Tables